Friday 24 February 2012

The Real Deal

It is widely known that I am the best looking pastor in Midland. 

I’m not bragging.  This is just what people tell me.  I’m sure it is true because they have nothing to gain by telling me this, besides a bigger mansion in Heaven, of course. 

That’s how it works.  You suck up to the pastor you get Heavenly swag.  It says so in the bible.  Near the back.  Promise.

While I enjoy the benefits of being so handsome, and I feel that it enhances my ministry, Jesus did not enjoy such genetic favours.  While the picture of Jesus on the wall outside my office (I didn’t put it there) has a picture of a blonde haired blue eyed Jesus who looks eerily like the father from Family Ties, scripture tells a different story.

We don’t really know what he looked like, but the Suffering Servant passage of Isaiah, talking about Jesus, the Messiah to come said this about him, “He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.”[1]

So what did attract people to Jesus?  Certainly hundreds, even thousands, gathered to see what he was all about.  Remember that story about Jesus feeding the 5000?  So ya, he had superstar status.  But why?

My guess it had to do more with who he was then anything else.  His attraction came from within.  He had a peace and a wisdom and a presence that none before had ever seen.[2]  He didn’t have to rely on charisma or good looks.  He was the real deal. 

He still is. 

A

www.knoxmidland.ca



[1] Isaiah 53:2
[2] Luke 4:32

No comments:

Post a Comment