Thursday 23 February 2012

Sacrifice. Me?


My generation (X) isn’t really big on going
without.  For the most part we don’t know much about it.  Our parents grew up going without, so when they had kids they made darn sure we didn’t.  But there is a problem here – going without is part of a healthy human experience.  We learn a great deal when we go through lean times.  For one thing we learn what is really important.
For a long time now Lent has been a time where followers of Jesus have actually, now get this, chosen to go without something.  Often it is meat, or snacks, or coffee, or internet.  Whatever is given up it is done to remind that person what Jesus gave up for them. 

And Jesus gave up a whole lot.

He gave up his life.

This year I’ve chosen to give up fast-food.  That may not sound like much to many of you, and even I will admit that it isn’t a heroic sacrifice, but every time my stomach rumbles and I crave an Angry Whopper with Poutine on the side, well, I will remember the much, much, much, larger sacrifice God made for me.  After all, Lent isn’t really about what I’m giving up – it is about remembering, and appreciating, what Jesus gave up for me.[1]

A

www.knoxmidland.ca





[1] Hebrews 10:14  “By one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment