Wednesday 11 September 2013

Are you Authentic in Your Disobedience?



 As we continue our series in Jonah this week we come to the place in the story where God hurls a great storm upon the sea.  The crew of the ship are doing everything they can to rescue their boat, and their lives.  This is no natural tempest the captain begins to realize.  This is something entirely different – something otherworldly.  Someone on board is the cause of all this, and he was going to find out who and why.  
            When the captain descended to the darkest interior of the ship he found the slumbering Jonah wrapped in a warm blanket.  “How can you sleep through all this?” the captain demanded.  “Get up now and pray to your God, maybe he can help us.” 
            But as if to demonstrate the very meaning of irony, the prophet, called to be the voice of God, was silent, even as the sea roared all the louder.  So the sailors, who had now abandoned every natural means of saving themselves, gathered down below and cast lots in hopes of divining the cause of their troubles.  The lot, as we all know, fell on Jonah.
            Every eye gazed upon the one who was causing him such grief.  “Who are you?  What do you do for a living?  Where do you come from?  Who are your people?” they all demand at once.
            “I am a Hebrew,” Jonah calmly replied.  And in a second act of unashamed irony declared, “I fear YHWH, God of heaven who made the sea and the land.”

            In Hebrew the word yare can be translated “to fear,” like when Jonah says, “I fear YHWH, God of heaven.  The word yare can also be translated “to worship.”  A point which I suspect the author of Jonah wanted us to recognize, as we can also read Jonah’s declaration as, “I worship YHWH, God of heaven.”  In either case we question the truth of Jonah’s declaration. 

            Does he truly fear God?  Does he truly worship God?

             If he did, he would be obedient, wouldn’t he? If he did he would pray and save himself and his fellow travelers.  If he did he would not lie sleeping while the storm threatened to sink the ship. 

            It is easy to judge Jonah here.  But then again, how many times have I declared myself a Christian (a Christ One) or a follower of Jesus, and then acted in obviously contradictory ways?  How many times have I worshiped on a Sunday morning, declaring God’s praises in bold ways, and then left the building only to gossip about someone at church, or get angry at a jerk on the highway, or lose my temper with my son?  And then there is disobedience that is too personal to share in a blog.

            Let’s be honest, our Christian lives are full of contradiction.  Let’s not excuse it, but let us not pretend it isn’t there, either.  I want to own that contradiction, recognize it, name it, and then seek each and every day to bring what I say I believe in line with the way I live it out. 

For I am a Christian.  I fear and worship YHWH, God of heaven who made the sea and the land.

-A

www.knoxmidland.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment