Wednesday 6 March 2013

Bearing Rejection



“As God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” Colossians 3:12-13   
 
A little while ago I logged on to Facebook after a short absence, and to my surprise found that Facebook had totally forgotten who I was.  Well, not totally, but the basic message was, “We’ve noticed that you haven’t been around in a while and we thought you didn’t like us anymore.”

To get back into my account I had to go through the login process all over again, perform a small arcane ritual, and hold my breath for thirty seconds.  Thankfully it worked and Facebook and I were best pals once again.

It is weird to write this, but even though it was a small rejection from a social computer program, it still felt like a real rejection.  Like, “Hey, just because I went away on vacation for a few weeks doesn’t mean you have to give up on me!”

Maybe it is because I’ve had people give up on me a little too quickly in the past, and I’m a little sensitive.  Maybe it is because my life is too easy and I have 21st century middle class problems.  Whatever the case, the point remains that there are probably people in your life that deserve a little more patience, or grace, or support.    

People let us down even a little bit and we are quick to drop them like a bad habit.

But God is not like that.  In his letter to the Colossians the Apostle Paul encourages us to, “Bear with each other” because God bears with us.   Could you imagine how King David’s story, or the Apostle Peter’s life, or your current reality would have turned out if God didn’t stick by those who have let him down?  Who among us hasn’t let Him down?  There is a limit to God’s patience, but He gives us a lot of rope before it runs out.

So as a disciple of His, I try to emulate God’s patience.  You know, try to give second chances, not be too quick to judge, and not give up on others, or even myself sometimes.  In short, I try to bear with others as others try to bear with me.  Please pray for the others!

No comments:

Post a Comment